Saturday, September 25, 2010

We're Going on an Array Hunt!

Unit 1 in our math series does a lot of work with arrays.  You know, "number of rows times the number of columns."  I think we've said that about a million times the past couple of weeks.  Another thing we worked on were prime and composite numbers.  They have the toughest time remembering that 1 is neither prime nor composite.  That is until we said, "THAT'S the price you pay for being #1."  For some reason, that sort of stuck.  They found it very funny.  Hey, whatever works, right?!

Back to arrays. . .
This year, in anticipation of blogging, I invested in a new digital camera.  All the pics you see here are taken with my Cannon Powershot 1400.  It's a simple point and shoot, but the pics seem to be pretty nice.

Again, back to arrays. . .
With Back to School Night quickly approaching, I realized I didn't have much student work on the walls.  Maybe because it was only days after school started?  Gotta love an email from admin telling you to be sure you put up student work for back to school night when you haven't had a chance to do much besides get to know your students and work on routines.

So, on with arrays. . .  REALLY. . .
I decided to send my kids on an array hunt in our building.  I sent the hooligans in groups of three to a specific room in our building.  Their task was for each student to find an array and take a picture of it.  Yes, I trusted them with my new camera!   THEY DID A GREAT JOB!!!  I was so happy with them, and they were so happy with themselves.  Here are some of the pictures they took:

The Chorus Folder Stand
The Seats in our Auditorium
 Stage Lights
 Vents in the Door to the Staff Lounge
 The Heating Unit in the Main Hallway

They also took pictures of the tiled floor, the tables in the cafeteria, a group of mats in the gym, and many others.  I printed all the pictures and each child had to take a black Sharpie and draw a rectangle/square around their array and write the number model it showed.

I hung these up on back to school night, and they were a big hit.  Next year, I plan to do this again.  The kids loved it.  It was also great because as they came back I looked at the pictures before I sent out the next group.  I was easily able to see who really understood the concept and who didn't.  The best part?  The next few mornings when I picked up my class, they couldn't wait to tell me all the arrays they noticed at home and in their neighborhoods.  Applying math lessons at home?  On their own time?  Be still my heart!

By the way, still working on the blog name.  If you have a suggestion, I'm all ears!

2 comments:

  1. This is the one best information over the internet because it is really helpful form all people so i recommended to all for read at once. Most colleges in the united kingdom assign students with JavaScript Assignment Help that need to be done within a short deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omneelab Software Development Company works in making Warehouse Management Software and SAAS Applications for the Supply Chain space. The other driving things/Applications of the collusion are Order Management and Billing Management. The union also make a re-endeavored software application for a mix of occupations. Need to design a demo, on the off chance that no one genuinely minds, make/talk with: info@omneelab.com

    ReplyDelete