Sunday, December 4, 2011

Picture Book Jackpot!

We do love books!  And so, this post shall be about books. . . in a minute.
I promised a post about picture books in math this weekend, and I am planning to deliver in a big, but slightly modified way!  Just keep reading. . .

Remember that migraine I was battling this week?  Well, on Saturday morning it turned in to this:

Yup, a little trip to the doctor brings two prescriptions and lots of tissues for a sinus infection.  Some days, I think my germy little friends are doing their best to take me out! Although, having had conferences this week there was a lot of mom and dad handshaking going on.  Oh well!  On the bright side, my sinus infection has also brought way too much lots of this:
Let me just say, if you haven't had the Holiday Tea from Barnes & Noble (Of course, I buy my tea at the books store! Don't you?) and Keebler Sandies Almond Crescent cookies, well you haven't lived!  It almost makes being sick and exhausted for the past week worth it.

The sick and exhausted part is where my slightly modified post about picture books in math comes in.  I was planning to do an extensive post on the books I like to use with links, pictures, and comments.  I just don't have the energy. 
Instead, I am giving you a link to a true picture book jackpot

At the end of the post is a link that will take  you to a seven page pdf titled "Utilizing Picture Books in the Intermediate Grades."  It is a bibliography compiled by Georgina J. Pipes.  I would link to her, but I couldn't really find anything about her on the web.  I found this list a couple of years ago and have used it many, many, many times.

Here's why I love this list:
  • It is geared toward the intermediate grades.  If you teach above second grade, it is often very difficult to find quality information about picture books for older kids.
  • The list is broken into subject areas:  Math, Language Arts, Social Studies, Science,
  • The subject areas are further broken into more specific categories.  Math is broken down into fractions, estimation, geometry, graphing, math concepts, measurement, multiplication, percentages, probability, and tanagrams.  The language arts has books specifically for character analysis, conflict/resolution, parody, parts of speech, personification, point of view, and more.  The same is done for the other subjects.
  • The list gives title and author making it easy to find the books.  Just print it out, and stick it in your bag.
Now, a con might be that, unless you know the book or have it in front of you, you can't really tell how well the book will apply to your lesson or the topic.  HOWEVER, I am so happy to have a list like this to refer to on occasion that you will get no criticism from me!  What I have done is taken the list to my local library with a nice cup of Starbucks.  I just settled in the children's section and looked at as many as I could, making notes on which ones I really liked and wanted to use.  Those are the ones I ended up purchasing.

So, without further ado, here is the link to the little gem I call a picture book jackpot!


Let me know what you think of the list.  I am now shuffling back to bed with tea, tissues, and more cookies than I should be eating!

6 comments:

  1. You are such a wonderfully creative teacher! I mentioned this link in my blog. Thanks for so generously sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great post! Amazing, comprehensive book list! Feel better soon!
    ~Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I still use picture books all the time with my 6th graders and they love it!

    Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, the links not working for me. I'm getting the error message "page not found." so disappointing. But I love your blog. I found it last week and have been working my way through all your posts. It's giving me so many ideas for my classroom and getting me so excited about this school year! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, Lorie I just tried the link and it doesn't seem to be available anymore. I am going to see if I can find it again! It's too good to give up on! Thanks for reading my blog!

      Delete
  5. I think I found the link... readinglady.com. I also typed Georgina J. Pipes utilizing picture books and the pdf file came up! Yeah!!

    ReplyDelete