Friday, March 28, 2014

Helping a School in Need

On March 22nd, an elementary school just a few towns over from my school district suffered a devastating fire.  Thankfully, the fire started at night and no children or any adults were harmed. However, the school is a total loss.  Here is a news report of the fire if you would like to know more.

As it turns out, the fire was started by a custodian who was smoking in the building and threw away his cigarette which wasn't completely extinguished.  It was an older building and did not have sprinklers.  As I wrote, the building was a total loss.

But, we educators and children are a resilient lot!  The school has been moved to space in a local community college until a semi-permanent place is found until they can rebuild, and the community has kicked in to help.  So has my school and many of our surrounding schools.

Our student council has started a supply drive. When you walk into our main lobby, there is a donation table with a basket for pretty much everything!

Everyone has been amazing about bringing in supplies.  One of the other schools in our district has been collecting books to help with rebuilding their school library.  Overall, it is wonderful that we are able to provide some necessary school supplies, but I have noticed that the message to those children affected and those children giving is what is most significant.  They see that in times of trouble, people reach out and help each other.  That it is going to be okay.  It reminds me of this quote from Fred Rogers, which I just love:

                                    “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”  ― Fred Rogers. via FB  #Fred_Rogers

This was a very comforting quote for me during 9-11 when our community was so profoundly devastated.  And now, in this time of need for those experiencing loss from this fire, I'm proud of our students who are learning to be those helpers, those caring people.

No comments:

Post a Comment