Sunday, January 15, 2012

Planning WAY Ahead

I went to Walmart today.  No, I am not a Walmart fan AT ALL.  Except for maybe today.  You see, first I went to Target.  Then, I went to K-Mart.  After that, I traveled the aisles of Bed, Bath, & Beyond. Then, I ran out of places to go. Nobody seemed to have the storage bins I was looking to buy for my guided reading area. So, I went to Walmart.  Which had exactly what I was looking for.   I ended up getting two of these carts.  They are Sterilite 6-Drawer Craft Carts.
Two carts gets you two pictures!  I think they are going to be perfect for storing my guided reading leveled materials.   The best part is I was able to use a gift card that I had gotten from my friends for the holidays.  Those suckers (The carts, not the kids!) were $23.99 each!   I'm very excited to get back to school on Tuesday and  continue with my room reorganization.

The real reason I'm doing this quick post tonight is not really to tell you about the carts.  It's about planning ahead. In this case, planning WAY ahead.  While in Walmart today, I passed a display of bags of Silly Straws. Do you remember these hard, plastic, curvy straws?
Why Walmart had a display of Silly Straws when it is 22 degrees outside right now, I do not know.  These always remind me of summer for some reason.  I took another look at the straws, and they were only $1.50 a bag.  I immediately grabbed four bags.
The second I saw the straws, I remembered a project I had pinned a while back on Pinterest.  It was for an end-of-the-year gift for my friends.  Here are the pictures I had pinned:

It's from the blog Fakin' It.  And, it seems she got the idea from the blog Hot Momma Makeovers.  Sounds racy, huh?! ;-D  Anyway, you simply attach a small bag of Kool-Aid mix to the straw with a note that says, "Have a Kool Summer!"  I thought it was so cute, and I know my friends will love it.  If you click on the Fakin' It  link, it will take you to her tutorial.  She used a Cricut machine to make the envelopes for the Kool-Aid.  I don't have one, but I figure I still have plenty of time to figure out another way.  I might put it all in a cellophane bag with a summery ribbon.

I hadn't planned to post today, but I wanted to share my end-of year kid gift now since I saw those Silly Straws in the store today at an insanely cheap price.  Now, I just have to hope that when June comes I can remember where I put the straws! 

11 comments:

  1. oooo...I am drooling over your pretty new plastic storage! What nice find!

    Love that Pinterest idea...your students definitely will too!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the carts!!!!!!!!! I may have to use your straw and kool-aid idea for the end of the year too :)

    ~Lorraine
    Fabulous 4th Grade Froggies

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the carts. Can they fit scrapbook paper?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE those carts!! They match my other carts exactly!! Hmm do you think hubs will take me to Walmart tomorrow...? :)

    I also pinned that super cute end-of-year gift.. I hope the Walmart near me has straws, too!!

    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very cute! And I'm impressed that you are so far ahead... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the straw idea!! Thanks so much for sharing! I may have to steal it if I can find the straws :)
    Kate
    To The Square Inch

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad I stumbled upon your blog from Pinterest. I absolutely love it! You're inspiring me to start my own blog, which I've wanted to do for some time now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea!

    5thgradetomfoolery@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting about the envelopes! I thought I had pinned it to my Pinterest board and couldn't find it so I had do an Internet search and found your blog. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete