Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year Everyone! 

I have off tomorrow, but then it is back to school on Tuesday.  I don't know what it is, but I always feel that the school year is halfway over once we have our winter break.  It's not. Our last day is actually June 21st, so I'm not sure why it always feels like I'm halfway there.  Anybody else ever feel this way?  Regardless, I'm going with the feeling!  Kind of nice to trick myself into believing the year is half over!

I think New Year's never really feels like a "new year" when you are a teacher.  My New Year's Eve is always the day before school starts in September.  It's a true fresh start with new friends, a new room design, and new school year resolutions.  This January New Year's stuff is for amateurs! I'm already four months into my new year. :-D



However, a new year is all about resolutions right?  I'm not sure if I make resolutions, but I do like to set goals for the new year, in September and January!  In my personal life, I have some big ones in the works.  In my school life, I've decided that my goal for the rest of this school year is one;

No More Procrastination!  
Holy cow, am I a procrastinator!   It really only affects one part of my school life, and that is when it comes to grading papers.  It is the one thing I just hate doing.  I put off grading as long as I can, and then I end up with an unmanageable pile that has to be done NOW!  I don't know what it is about grading.  I will happily spend my nights and weekends working on lesson plans, creating charts, researching for upcoming lessons, but I get downright grumpy when I have to give up an evening to grade papers.  Hopefully, if I stop procrastinating and do them as soon as I get them, there won't be anymore unmanageable piles to tackle.  Either that, or I need to find a way to change my mindset about grading.  sigh. . .



A Little Reminiscing

I started this blog with one little post on August 31, 2010.  My "last" post was on December 24, 2010.  In those four months, I wrote a total of six posts before abandoning my blog.  It was on July 13, 2011, that I decided to give this another go.  In a little over five months, I have written a total of 71 posts.   It's has really been a lot of fun.  More than I ever imagined.  This blog has been a great way for me to share and document some of what I do.  I have to say it still completely floors me that anyone even reads my blog.  The shock of having 270 followers never lessens!  What I have enjoyed most is the great ideas and comments I've gotten from readers. I appreciate each and every one.  You are a very talented and inspiring crew!

I've been seeing a lot of "Best of" and "Year in Review" type posts on different blogs.  I thought I would venture into that territory myself a bit with my 70 little posts.  So, here goes!

Most Viewed Post:   The Picture Book Bonanza Continues!  This was a shocker to me.  I didn't really go into any great detail about the books.  In fact, these were books YOU told me you liked to use.  I just pulled them from my comment section.  It has let me know that you might like to see more picture book reviews.  I have a ton that I love, so I'm planning to incorporate more in the future.

Post Most Viewed To My Surprise:  Too Many Anchor Charts!  Another shocker for me.  This post is about the anchor chart binder I keep in my class.  I have had this binder going for a long time, and it was honestly not something I had planned to post about.  One day, I was looking around my classroom thinking about what I was going to post that night and my eyes landed on my binder. So, I posted about it. I never expected it to garner so much interest.   I am delighted that so many of you found it useful.

Post I Wish More People Viewed and Commented On:  Theme and My Friend Molly Lou Mellon  I know you like picture books, and I so wish more people had commented on this book.  Did you like it?  It truly is one of my favorites.  The reason I love it has less to do with any formal lesson you can use it for, and everything to do with the book's message.  It's one of my favorite first reads with my friends to let them know we don't have to fit a certain mold to be accepted and embraced in friendship.  It's also such a great anit-bullying book.

Most Frustrating Post:  Planning the Impossible!  I am still struggling with this, but I'm finding my way.  Your comments and suggestions, even just your empathy, have been so helpful to me.  I have a post coming to address the different comments I've been getting, and I will definitely be talking about this.

Most Cathartic Post:  We Do It Because We Are Teachers!  I try to not get on a rant, but every so often one is deserved.  Especially when you live in a state with a governor that likes to teacher bash.  Just sayin' . . .

Okay, I'm out of categories.  I just can't think of any.  I don't really have a favorite or most important post.  I figure as the readers, you can decide that for yourself.  A post that works for someone may be nothing but fluff for someone else.  Either way, I can say I've had great fun writing them all.

I do have some upcoming posts planned.  I am hoping to put up the post regarding all the great comments I've gotten in the next day or so.  Surprisingly, this post has really been a tough one to write.  You all really have me thinking!  I also have a post in the works for a new anchor chart.  I call it the anchor chart that keeps on giving.  It's a chart you can use for a variety of writing lessons.  I like having a chart that lends itself to more than one thing.  There is also a post on how I use binders that I have been promising one reader.  I had planned to do it over the break, but I totally forgot to take pictures while in school.  For some reason, this post just keeps getting away from me!  So, that's some of what is in the works. 

I hope you all had a happy new year.  Hopefully, this year will bring us all health, wealth, happiness, and really smart, cooperative students!

1 comment: