Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Picture Book Bonanza Continues!

It's part two of. . .
Picture Book Bonanza!
More picture books as recommended by you.
(No giant asparagus included.)


Becca of Whole Words uses Children Make Terrible Pets to teach plot diagram.  I love that title!

Fiona uses Diary of a Worm to teach point of view and voice.

"Dan" uses Nothing Ever Happens on 90th Street to introduce narratives.  I love this book!  There is so much that you can do with it.  By the way, I write "Dan" because it's Dan's wife that actually posted under Dan's name. However, Dan is always welcome to comment, too! :-)

Jennifer likes My Great Aunt Arizona to help her students write about what inspires them.

Nari uses Charlie Anderson to teach questioning.  I don't care if this book is great or horrible!  The cover alone would make me buy it, and I'm not even a cat person!  How cute is that cat?

Tracy at Grade 3 Top Dogs uses Big Chickens to discuss story elements.

Allie-Gator of And so it begins. . .  likes to use Peanut Butter and Jelly to teach sequencing.

Prudence likes to introduce writing workshop with Born Yesterday, The Diary of a Young Journalist.


Stjstinn uses a Patricia Polacco classic, Thank You Mr. Falker,  to teach about the importance of reading.

Michelle likes to use The Important Book at the beginning of the year to help the students share things about themselves.  I like this book a lot.  Like Michelle, I've used it as part of a getting to know you activity.  Once you have introduced it though, it's great for content area lessons.  My friends have created "The Important Book" to wrap-up science units.  It's a great way to make sure they really know the content, and it's fun! (Michelle, for some reason I couldn't get to your profile from your link to see if you had a blog. Sorry.)Michelle also suggested The Worry Stone and Mrs. Spitzer's Garden

This is a list that could go on forever!  I love how my big, tough fifth graders get so caught up in picture books.  I love even more how much they learn from them.  This has been fun.  Expensive considering all the books I couldn't resist ordering, but still lots of fun. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

10 comments:

  1. This is AMAZING!!! Thanks so much for sharing...all of these books have now been added to my "to buy" list!
    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there lesson plans somewhere that go with these? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous! I only posted what the commenter said they used the book for, so I don't have a particular lesson plan for each book. However, if the commenter (commentor?) had a blog, I linked to it. You can always visit thier sites and see. I would also Google the title of the picture book and "lesson plan." That will probably get you something. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME! Love this blog ...

    Carolyn

    http://ebthekitchensink.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a School Counselor, I use Charlie Anderson in my Divorce Groups. It's the perfect way to show children about living in two homes. Although the rules change, and the environment is different, you are loved & cared for in both places and it's just not the same without you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have a list of books that I can use in my math classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great list! And a great find...as is your blog. I look forward to sharing ideas with you!! :)

    Little Miss Glamour Goes to Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE Charlie Anderson! So many kids connect with it as well!

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee
    The Best Endings

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great, thank you. I also like using Gail Gibbons' books with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my new favorites is Nightsong by Ari Berk

    ReplyDelete