Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Book Talk with a Little Bit of Pi on the Side

Before I get to book talks, let me say how much I appreciate all your comments regarding teacher observations..  It was really eye-opening to see the wide variety of practices in place.  I also wasn't aware that tenure had been completely abolished in some states.  It makes for interesting thought to see that we all have the same job with the same important goal of educating our youth, however what we do is open to such a variety of rigor in its evaluation.  Gave me a lot of food for thought.

Moving on. . .


My friends conducted book talks this week.  Overall, they did a really good job.  They were to sell their book as if they were giving a cheesy infomercial.  Kind of silly, but lots of fun.  They had to summarize their book and "sell" it to their classmates without giving away the ending.

As part of the project, they also had to create a t-shirt that reflects the book.  One of the main things I noticed at this book talk was how much better their public speaking skills were from the book talks we did last month.  I don't know if it was the cheesy infomercial effect, but most had memorized their talks rather than reading them from note cards.  They also had a lot more eye contact and variety in volume and inflection when they spoke.

I thought I would share some of what they did.  Since I can't show faces, I took two pictures.  One for our school blog and then another without their head for this blog.  Yikes!  That sounds so mean, to have cut their heads off in the pictures.  I just didn't want to take the time to blurr out the faces!  Let's just say this will allow you to focus without being charmed by a bunch of cute smiles! :-)

I categorized some of the pictures. 

  • Here are few of my nonfiction readers.
This friend read Favorite Greek Myths by Mary Pope Osborne
I love that he created a glossary of the gods on the back of his shirt. 

This friend read a biography on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  She found it really interesting because she said kids always learn the same thing about Dr. King every year and through reading this book, she was able to learn new information.  Out of the mouths of babes! 

This book was a huge hit.  If you can think of any mythical monster, it is in this book.  It really was varied.  We read about creatures like Cerberus to the Jersey Devil.  His t-shirt was made of some of his favorite creatures.  It was good, but I would rather he drew them or made them in some way.
  • The next crop of pictures are from a group I call my Girly Girls.  If there is a book about a boy, shopping, and nail polish this group is all over it!  I often have to remind them to stretch themselves as readers.  However, notice the book choices when left on their own.
I think you get the picture! 
  • This next group would be some of my advanced readers.  They are a tough group.  They have very high reading levels, but finding books can be tough because the content is not always appropriate.  These books were chosen from at-home reading with parent approval.  In the classroom, I'm not sure I would have given a green light to all these books.  I find with advanced readers, they get caught up in being able to read advanced books, but don't really have the skills yet to deeply comprehend what they are reading.
Hands down my favorite shirt!  Look at the face of the boater.
If you are going to read Jaws by Peter Benchley, this is the perfect t-shirt!
Not a lot of information on it, but her book talk was great.
I should note that they all had more information about the book on the back of their t-shirts, but I figured we are already on picture overload without my posting two pictures of each.
Here's the funny thing about this particular book talk.  One of the rules was that you could not give away the ending of your book.  My friend who read the Hunger Games gave a great recap without telling the ending.  Of course, did I think about that when this friend got up to talk about the sequel, Catching Fire?  Oh my!  You should have hear the groans when in the course of talking about this book she totally told the ending to the first book.
  • This last group of pictures is just a mish-mosh of different books my fifth graders are enjoying.






UPDATE (6/2013)  I have to thank you all as this is one of my most popular posts.  Over a year later I still get emails asking me for the rubric I used with this project.  I'm sad to report that I have looked high and low and just can't find it.  I have looked on my computer and even went through my files hoping I had a hard copy on file.  Nope. :-(  But, any rubric you would use for an oral book report would work.  

  Okay, one more UPDATE (6/2014)  Believe it or not, I still get emails asking me for a rubric for this project.  I still don't have one for ya!  BUT, I found a great one that will work beautifully.  It's a Teachers Pay Teachers product by Runde's Room, a great blogger with an amazing blog!  She has created a book talk pack that includes an information sheet, student guideline sheet, information organizer, and a rubric for assessment.  You can click HERE to go directly to the product.  I purchased it a while back, and can tell you it will work well with this project.  It wouldn't include the t-shirt for scoring, but you could just add that in and I think that would be easy to do if you follow what she did on the rubric.  Anyway, hope this helps those of you still looking for a book talk rubric.


So, that is what my friends have been up to this week.  Well, that and today was PI DAY!!!  We had a lot of fun.  The four other fifth grade teachers I work with and I rotated among the five classes doing different pi related activities.  Part of my activity was a reading of the book Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi by Cindy Neuschwander.
It's actually part of a series of books that does a fantastic job in explaining some geometry concepts in a very entertaining way.


We finished the day with pie, of course!  In all, my parents sent in eleven pies for twenty five children.  Yeah, I have a serious pie belly right now! But, oh it was good!
How was your pi day?







58 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your ideas! I may try the t-shirt idea. I've never seen that before. Oh, and we celebrated Pi Day today, too! We ate lots of round foods, hula-hooped, discovered pi with a circle activity, and had a recitation contest. My highest digit reciter was able to say 68 decimal digits from memory :) Thanks again for posting your ideas. I know it is hard to teach, prep for the next day, and then blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I just found your blog via the Linky Party and I am so glad I did! I LOVE the book report shirts...Awesome! Come and checkout my blog anytime!

    Andrea
    One Teacher's Take

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. How engaging and interactive that idea is, but at the same time the children are using those higher order thinking skills. I love it! I am your newest follower! Come and visit my blog when you have a chance.

    Sharima

    Lovebuglearning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your book talk idea!! I'm totally doing that with my class! I teach 3rd grade gifted students who are avid readers, and I know this will be a big hit. Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the t-shirt project. Would you be willing to share directions/rubric for it??? I'm always looking for fun book report ideas that they haven't already done by the time they get to 4th grade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto. Looking forward to replicating this activity.

      Elena in California

      Delete
    2. I would also LOVE to do this activity with my 4th graders. Would you mind sharing your directions/rubric with me? tjhester22@hotmail.com.

      Delete
    3. I am happy to share, but I will have to find it all. I have the directions and rubric stuffed in my "need to file" pile. We have state testing next week, so I should have time to find it for you all. Just be warned, I tend to keep my directions pretty general allowing my friends to be a bit more creative.

      Delete
    4. I would love any information you can forward to get this activity started. I love it and want to incorporate it into my End of the Year Book Bonanza!!!! My email is jmcelroy@hse.k12.in.us. Thanks so much!!!!

      Delete
    5. When you can put your hands on it and have some extra time (haha) my email is jamie.fatek@cpschools.com. Thanks!! Love love love your blog! :)

      Delete
    6. I would also LOVE the rubric! I am going to do this as our last 'reading group' activity... super excited!
      My e-mail is katiek@cksd.wednet.edu!

      Delete
    7. I found you on Pinterest and I LOVE this idea! If you have found the directions/rubric, would you be willing to share them with me, as well? Thanks so much!! Alison at asmalley@msd38.org

      Delete
    8. I also found you on Pinterest over the summer and immediately pinned this to my board. I am so excited to try this with my classes! I would also be greatly appreciative of the directions/rubric if you are willing to share them with me?:) Thank you so much! Camille Hall hallcc1@mcsk12.net

      Delete
    9. I am a pinterest addict and was looking for an awesome new book report idea. I came across the t-shirts and was blown away. I would LOVE if you could send me your information in regards to creating things. We are reading "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" in my classroom now and I know my students would LOVE creating these t-shirts!!!! email jroot@madison.k12.il.us

      Delete
    10. I love this project you did and would like to do it with my 4th graders. Would you mind sharing the directions/rubric with me? Thank you so much! khawkins@dewitt.k12.ar.us

      Delete
    11. I love this as well. I am a second year teacher and think my third graders next year would really love this. Could you please share the directions and rubric with me if possible? Thank you! rodriguezha@buffaloisd.net

      Delete
    12. I created a rubric for the book chat/shirt project. I have it saved as a Google Doc and this link should allow you access to it. Enjoy!

      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nvBReInIScUsh621QndLWI4A-giptpRqihnNPWV6dkw/edit?usp=sharing

      Delete
  6. Hello Nancy,
    I am not a Public School Teacher, I am a Homeschool mom and I came across your blog by a friends blog. I just love the t-shirt ideas that was so neat to read.
    I also love the Pi book, I am going to see if I can check that out.
    I must say I love a lot of your ideas. Sometimes my papers to grade piles up on me and I think wow I'll never catch up but to see your bag full I won't be saying that again..lol I homeschool my youngest 3. I love the way you call your students "Friends" that is awesome !! I can also tell by reading your blog that you love to teach, We need more teachers like you !!
    I am so glad I don't have Teacher Observations, I would be a nervous wreck !! lol I am sure you did great!!
    God bless and have a wonderful Sunday +

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks so much for the kind words! I think teaching, no matter where you do it is a tough job when we do it right, so I tip my hat to you!

      Delete
  7. I would love this for my third graders. Would you share with me? crobinson1184@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! I LOVE this project! If you locate your directions/rubric, I'd love a copy. I know my 5th graders are going to have a blast with this project! Thanks for sharing :D


    Upper Grades Are Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clever idea! Thanks for sharing. I've pinned this to use next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would love a copy of the rubric/directions as well. What an awesome idea! mosmith@sd83.bc.ca

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful idea! I'd love to try this one for the next school term. You are so creative! I'd also really like to have a copy of the rubric/ directions as well if that is possible. I think my 4th graders will have a blast with this idea. Thanks in advance,
    Best wishes!
    Ms. Gaby

    gaby21269@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this too - what are the different ways my home school kids can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the t-shirt idea! If you don't mind, I would love to get a copy of the rubric and directions. My email is jennifer1973.jn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can I also grab a copy of the rubric/directions of the tshirt report if you don't mind sending them my way? I LOVE all your creative ideas!

    -Jenny jstempniak@smow.org

    ReplyDelete
  15. I luv your idea also and would be elated if you would send directions and rubric!!! Thanks for all you do!

    rshirmaind@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd love your directions and rubric if you don't mind sharing! colleen.reagan@sayrevillek12.net. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love a copy of the directions and rubric.

    Thanks so much. btash@conejousd.org

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this idea! I'd really like the directions & rubric too. Thanks!!! Kristenldoyle@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi,

    Like everyone else. I would love to see the directions and rubric you used if you have one. Chadd_stern@gwinnett.k12.ga.us

    Thanks!

    Chadd

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this! I'm going to share on my blog, Bookishly Boisterous- will definitely give you credit, but please leave me a comment on my blog if you'd like me to take it down. Found this on Pinterest- you're famous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Would love to do this. Do you have a rubric and directions? Stephadam228@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Would love to do this. Do you have a rubric and directions? Stephadam228@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your t-shirt idea. I was wondering if you supplied your students with the material they needed? How did you grade them? How long did it take? It is such a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would love a copy of the directions and rubric. Thank you! pumkin_77@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would also love the rubric and directions please. albinks@unit5.org

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would also love the rubric and directions as well:) courtneyegriffin@yahoo.com

    I'm student teaching in the fall and would love to try this out!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Would love the directions and rubric! Great idea! Amysainato04@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would also love the Rubric and Directions. shill@tcboe.org

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really love yourt-shirt idea. I would love to have the directions . pgoulionis@ecps.org

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi, I found your blog while looking for some new and creative book report ideas. I teach gifted 4th graders in Florida. Can you please send me the rubric and directions? My e mail is meryl.jefferson@browardschools.com. THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi, I just found your blog on pinterest. I am teaching a new 6th grade art enrichment class this year and I need any ideas that I can get. I would like to do this lesson this week with my students. Could you please send me the directions and rubric? I would greatly appreciate it. My email address is Kerrimontzroussel@gmail.com. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a fabulous idea! I would love to do this with my third graders. Do you have directions and a rubric? If so, could you please email me at marcilyn78@gmail.com

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I would also love to have the directions and rubric for this activity. Jkessinger@pierce.k12.ca.us. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I would also LOVE to have directions and rubric if possible!!! adabjones@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. *****Please note the post was update in June 2013 to say that the rubric for the project is not available. Sorry!**********

    ReplyDelete
  36. Pls share with me. I teach third grade at an early ed school. This would be a great activity to end the yr as our kids graduate and move on to fourth grade in a new school. rowoodbu1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. These are wonderful ideas. Are they on pintrest? I didn't see a link. It is very engaging snd they will love to show off their work. It will also have them be able to talk about the book in more detail. Great idea! !

    ReplyDelete
  38. Could you send directions for the tshirt and rubric if not rubric just the directions I want to modify for my 2nd graders I think all grades could use. thanks ming1@ec.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Awesome twist on book reports. Thanks for the idea and I'll definitely be sharing this via K12's Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  40. i love this place

    ReplyDelete
  41. I don't need the rubric...lol
    What I would love to know is did the students use markers or fabric paint on tshirts? Did they have cardboard between f/b of shirt to avoid bleed through? Did they complete them at school or home.?

    ReplyDelete
  42. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Do you happen to have the directions for the t-shirt book report project? if so could you email to me closco4@aol.com Thank you so very much Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  44. Nice books. These are the kind of books I wanted my children to read.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love this idea for book reports! Would you mind sharing your directions/general information documents you send home with the students? Also what kind of markers do you use to color on the shirts? Thanks, what a great idea!
    Jessica_lapp@elanco.org

    ReplyDelete