Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Really? THAT'S What You Think I Would Do??!!!!!

 I post this anchor chart not because it is a fine example of an anchor chart.  It's okay. It's kind of sloppy.   I'm sure you could think of many ways to make it better. It's not even new.  It's from earlier in the school year.  I post this anchor chart because of the conversation that came with it. 


I asked, "What do you think independent reading should look like?  sound like?"
My friends did well.  They knew what independent reading should look like.  When it came to what it shouldn't look like, well they got a bit carried away.  No shopping is about book shopping.  There's no searching for books during independent reading.  We have book shopping for ten minutes each morning, so everyone has a basket full of books ready to go.  We also keep one book in our desk at all times.  It's usually the one they are currently reading.  It's our "Go To" book.  But, no sleeping?  Okay, I put it up but I have yet to have anyone fall asleep.  Thank goodness.

The funny part came when I told them that now we were going to talk about what the teacher does do and shouldn't do during independent reading.  Here's what they came up with that didn't make it on the chart.
As the teacher, they said I should not be. . .
  • on Facebook
  • texting my friends
  • cleaning out my pocketbook
  • talking on the phone to my friends
  • cracking my knuckles
  • eating sandwiches
  • watching You Tube videos at my desk
  • putting on make-up
  • napping at my desk
  • painting my fingernails (and one said I also shouldn't paint my toenails either. . .just in case I didn't get it!)
Here's the kicker.  THEY WERE DEAD SERIOUS!  Who are these kids???  What has their experiences with past teachers been?  Seriously, I have never done any of these things in class with my friends.   Really?  THAT'S what you think I would do?  We managed to put it all under the umbrella that the teacher should not do anything that would distract the reader.  I have to say, every time I look at this chart, I get the giggles. I tease them now that I'm going to go back to my desk and paint my nails if they don't listen.  It may just be that the thing I love most about my job is that there isn't a day that goes by that my friends don't make me smile.

2 comments: