Friday, November 11, 2011

Literacy Anchor Charts Via Pinterest

I think, if you are a regular reader, you know my love of PINTEREST by now.  It's the best site to lose yourself in.  While you can search for pins in a variety of categories, I often look for school ideas.  In fact, I have a board full of anchor charts others have found on the web that I liked.  I thought today I would share with you some of the literacy anchor charts I have pinned along with the link to the original post if possible.  So, in no particular order, here we go!

Heart Map for Writing
The picture is a little fuzzy and this is one I actually couldn't find a permanent link for, but I think you get the idea. I actually do this writing lesson.  It's on writing about the things you love.  You draw a big heart and then fill it with all those things. The teacher does one to model, and then your friends create their own.  It is writing topic inspiration for your friends.  I've always just drawn a heart and filled it in with words, but I love this idea.  I am planning to prepare one and laminate it.  Then, I'm going to give my friends a heart to do for themselves.  Wouldn't this make a great bulletin board?


**Edit:  Holly from Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade found out who made the heart.  It's the brainchild of Cara Carroll from The First Grade Parade.  Please stop by her blog, and tell her how much we love her heart!  By the way, if you are looking for some turkey flakes, check out Holly's blog.  Too cute!**

Deep Versus Flat Connections
This comes from Ms. Bonger's blog Life in 4B.  I can't begin to tell you how amazing this teacher is.  You will find many wonderful things in her blog.  I am working my way through all her older posts and loving almost everything I read!  This anchor chart really hits home for me because a few of my friends are still having a tough time with this at the moment.  You have to love her sense of humor, too.  Love the "Whoop dee doo. . . "


This chart comes from Jennifer Jones' blog Hello Literacy.  Jennifer's profile says she is an Instructional Teacher Leader.  I believe it!  Her blog is another that is full of great ideas and resources.  This chart about prediction caught my eye because of the way it relates it to so many other things our friends know about such as estimation in math and forecasts in weather.


Another one I couldn't find a permanent link to.  The link above takes you to a slide show, but I couldn't find any links to a blog or person.  I like this chart simply because I can never remember all the themes!  I'm always forgetting something.  This should be a handy reminder.


So that's just four of the anchor charts I really liked and two great blogs I found via Pinterest. I will probably post some more at a later date.  Besides anchor charts, Pinterest has tons of tips on other things.  For instance, I found via this link at the blog Learning Pavillion that
Had no idea! :-) 
UPDATE 10/21/12:   Thanks to Sheri at Learning Pavillion, a great blog with tons of great ideas! This idea and the pictures are from her blog.  I should note that the link I originally posted did not link back to Sheri's blog, but I have corrected that.  Sorry about that Sheri.  Thanks for being so gracious about my error!

By the way, thanks to all of you that commented on my post regarding Planning the Impossible.  I'm still thinking about your comments.  At this point, I might just email my principal, literacy coach, and director asking them to help me make it work.  I'm thinking if I go in seemingly befuddled as to how to make it work,they will have to come up with something other than expecting us to just make it happen.  If you haven't had a chance to read the post, please take a minute to read and comment if you can.  I would really appreciate any thoughts you may have.


10 comments:

  1. LOVE!!! I'm thinking of pinning - how sad is that? I tried it once this summer - didn't get it...but think I should give it another go. I think the heart back is Cara Carroll's from The First Grade Parade.

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holly! Try Pinterest again. It's really addictive! I checked in on The First Grade Parade and found Cara Carroll's heart map. You are right, it is hers. Thanks so much for finding it. I am going to adjusted the post to give her full credit right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Heart Map comes from a 1999 textbook written by Georgia Heard: Awakening the Heart, Exploring Poetry in Elementary and Middle School. I fell in love with this book in a Arts Integrated class through Lesley University. I have been using it with my 1st graders for a couple of years.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the update Anon. It seems this is a very popular heart and has made it in a few different books. However, yours is the earliest reference I have seen. Looks like we may have found its origin! My poetry unit is coming up a little later in the year, so I'm going to see if I can find this book. It sounds like a good resource. Thanks for reading the blog! :-)

      Delete
  3. Nancy,
    Thanks for the shout-out! I too, am addicted to Pinterest and love how teachers can share ideas, ie, pictures of so many great things. Teachers are truly visual learners I think. You have a great blog, too!
    Take care,
    Jennifer Jones
    www.helloliteracy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jennifer! Happy to be able to send some people your way from my little corner of blog land. Love your blog! :-) I agree, we all become better teachers when we share ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Fellow Teacher,
    I love your blog... thanks for all the great things you share. I love the Heart Map, I also saw it on Pinterest and want to do with my students.
    The Heart Map idea originates in Ralph Fletcher's book How to
    Write Your Life Story - just thought I would share. He has other great ideas in his books for writing.
    I really like your Anchor Chart binder!!

    Sincerely,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I noticed my photos for the plastic plate writing boards above and love the fact that you are sharing my idea, but would like to share the appropriate link where they can be found on my blog, Learning Pavilion. :)

    http://www.learningpavilion.com/plastic-plate-writing-boards/

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about that, Sheri! I am all for giving credit where credit is due! Please note that the link in the post has been corrected. As I updated in the post, thanks for being so gracious about my error. :-)

      Delete
  7. This is one of the most incredible article I've read in a really long time. I hope you update this blog often because I’m anxious to read more about. 7 seater sofa covers online , jacquard bed sheets in pakistan

    ReplyDelete