Thursday, November 17, 2011

My Desk is a Hot Mess!

Hi. I'm Nancy, and my desk is a hot mess!


Let's take a closer look.
  • See that coffee cup?  Has been on my desk since 7:30 this morning.  I took this picture at 5:00 PM.  And, yeah it's still half full.
  • The CDs?  Science videos I've been trying to show for three days, but my computer won't cooperate. 
  • Under the CDs?  Well, two picture books I'm working into my plans and a stack of quarterly reading assessments I have yet to grade.
  • The stack of yellow papers under my glasses by the computer?  Conference request appointment slips I need to coordinate and then send out new slips with conference appointments.
  • The brown bag?  The other half of my sandwich that I didn't get to eat because I spent half my lunch period tutoring two of my friends on how to divide decimals.  Who could imagine that one darn dot could cause so much confusion!
  • The blue flowered binder on the corner?  That's my plan book. Only it's not a book, but a binder which I have already outgrown.  Need to head to Staples this weekend for a bigger binder.    I feel like I totally understand that scene in Jaws when they say, "We're going to need a bigger boat."  To teach my friends this year, I am definitely going to need a bigger binder.
  • The metal mesh cup with big popsicle sticks?  Each holds the name of one of my friends.  Keeps things fair and square in so many ways when I can just pick sticks.  Of course, there are two sticks missing, but my friends don't know that.  I suspect they are buried under one of those other piles.
  • The bag on the chair?  All the many papers I brought home tonight to grade.  Well, I hope to grade.  Too many days I just take my school bag on a little field trip to my home and then back to school again.  Some days it doesn't even make it out of the car.
  • Everything else?  All the stuff of a daily teaching life.
Now, if you know me, you know that this drives me nuts. And if I were being totally honest, this is not even too terrible on the messy scale.  It's been worse. I like my desk to be organized, but it just so got away from me this week.  I haven't had a minute of down time this week to catch up with anything.  Then when I get home, I feel like this:


I was going to stay later tonight and clean off my desk, but then I remembered that my friends earned a reward for the marking period.  Remember the brownie points they earned?  Well, tomorrow is movie day, so I will have some downtime during my normal reading period.  No, I'm not slacking!  They are actually watching a movie that relates to our curriculum.  But, it will give me a chance to clean up that desk.

It's not all bad though.  There is one thing on my messy desk that makes me happy.  Can you find it?

It's my apple cozy! 
I know, totally silly and unnecessary but I love it!  It's actually pretty useful.  I love apples (See! Destined to be a teacher!) and with the cozy, I can throw them in my pocketbook and they never get poked or smooshed.  Here's mine up close.


If you are interested, I got it on Etsy.com at this store, Ollie's Boutique.  If you don't know Etsy, it's a site where people create online stores to sell handmade goods.  It's a great place to browse for all kinds of ridiculous fun stuff like an apple cozy!

So, that's my messy desk.  How's your desk looking?

7 comments:

  1. your post made me smile and it is all so true...I LOVE your apple coozie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so true. I try to clean off my desk every night before I go home. It's more of a tidying and prioritizing the piles, but it makes the next day start a little easier. I never understand how our desks get so messy so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi...so...crazy random...HOWEVER...I absolutely NEED your lesson plan binder cover/spine. I spend far too much time thinking about the perfect cover (ahem, for a year and a half to be exact) and...I'm fairly certain I just saw it! TOO CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brit, I would love to help you out, but I can't give you my binder cover. It's just scrapbooking paper I cut to size. I went to Michael's, a craft store by me, and browsed the scrapbook paper section until I found one I liked. The wording is just matching alphabet stickers. Go browse the scrapbook papers. I bet you'll find something you like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOSH! you must must enter this contest. you would be perfect for it!! Add a lot of the words and stuff that you wrote because you are hilarioud. Then we can vote on you and hopefully .. you win money?? Thats always good!Go to contestfactory.com/pimp to enter for free or see this youtube link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjfb-ipHrTk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love your blog, but despite all the great tools, documents, ideas I've found here today, THIS ONE may be my favorite! Thanks for helping me feel like I'm not the only one out there trying to be organized, even though every day in teaching brings some new "excitement"! I was laughing out loud when I read this because I have the same conversation in my mind often!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE LOVE your blog! You are incredibly generous with your ideas and procedures, Nancy! Thank you 100 times. On this subject: I think our desks get so messy because we are busy teachers and we don't sit at them much. I had a pre-service prof once say "A teacher on her feet is worth two in her seat." That has stayed with me 20 years. There are professions that involve almost the entire day sitting at a desk - those are the desks that stay organized and clean.

    ReplyDelete