Monday, August 29, 2011

Hurricane Irene and The Book Whisperer

Well, Hurricane Irene continues to thwart me at every turn.  Personally, I fared well.  No hot water, but I have electricity and that's HUGE!  Power is out almost everywhere around me.  Trees are down and the dam in town that holds back a rather large lake overflowed, took out the bridge road, and is in danger of breaking. 

This is the bridge. Yeah, over that bridge?  That would be the route I normally take to school. 
See the pole to the left.  There's usually about 4 feet of grass, then a small fence, then a drop down to the lake. Not so much anymore.  This picture is after the worst of the flooding.  The road is gone and the pipes that ran under the road are completely exposed.  Going to have to find a new route to school.

Speaking of school, I couldn't go today because the power is out there as well.  We've been told it could be up to 5 days before the power is restored.  Teachers are supposed to start on Thursday.  We'll see if that happens.  I feel sorry for the teachers that waited until this week to go in and prep their rooms.  It doesn't look like they will be able to get in.  Thankfully, I just have some minor finishing touches to do.  That and some OCD stuff that only I will notice but really want to do, like line the inside of my desk drawers with this cute Contact paper I found! :-)  So, as soon as I can get in I will take and share the pictures.

The Book Whisperer has been keeping me busy during the weather mayhem.  I have a little bit more to go, but I can tell you I LOVE THIS BOOK!  Honestly, it speaks to me.  It's everything I have believed about reading, instruction, and children put into words eloquently and smartly. I'm going to do a full review as soon as I finish, but I can tell you now RUN, RUN, RUN, AND BUY THIS BOOK!

4 comments:

  1. The Book Whisperer totally inspired me! As a result my students are reading up a storm. They are more conscience about genres and are more active during our library visits. Every teacher should read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too and read it and re-read it. I am still recommending it to my co-workers. That book along with Teach like your hair's on fire are my two all time favourite books!

    ReplyDelete