Friday, August 26, 2011

Hurricane Irene Squashed My Plans. :-(

I had promised to post pictures of my finished classroom this weekend, but it's not going to happen.  While working in my room today, an announcement was made that we had to leave as they needed to secure the building for HURRICANE IRENE.  Yeah, take a look at that lovely little map of New Jersey below.

I happen to live along the shore in that top red county.  Yup, I'm living in a hurricane warning area.  We are going to get hit with hurricane Irene sometime tomorrow.  So, as per the announcement, I ended up rushing out of my classroom without getting to take any pictures.  I should be able to get back in Tuesday, I hope.  

They are taking this storm very seriously around here.  Our governor was doing a live television broadcast a few minutes ago and, on the airwaves, told people in one beach area to, "GET THE HELL OFF THE BEACH!"  In case you don't know of our Governor Christie, he's sort of known for his blunt manners.  However, he's right!  They do need to get off the beach.  New York is essentially shutting down starting tomorrow.

I'm happy to say I am prepared for the hurricane. We have food, water, ice, and have battened down the hatches.  I was going to work on my lesson plans, but in my rush to get out of school today I forgot the books I need.  Instead, I will be working on some professional reading.  Still working my way through the Day to Day Assessment in the Reading Workshop book I had told you about earlier.  It's a very good book, but for some reason I keep putting it down.  I also have The Book Whisperer to read.  Looking forward to that one!  And, since I am still technically on summer vacation, I picked up a trashy beach novel at Barnes and Noble today.  Let's see which book gets read first!

Monday will still be a hurricane day, but If I can get in my classroom on Tuesday, I should be done by the end of the day.  I promise pictures.  I'm really happy with how it looks.

If you are in the hurricane area, stay safe!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you are okay! You are all in my prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete